Most symptoms of autism are observed in toddlers as young as 18 months old, but there are cases which are discovered later when the child enters primary school. Reasons for later discovery may due to symptoms are only able to observe in a complex social environment. Some common symptoms are inability to follow social rules, social communication or emotional deficits, throw a big tantrum when one trying to stop their rigid and repetitive behavior.They may also have learning difficulties such as inattentive during class, leaving seats in inappropriate time, not able to learn through observations which all affect a person greatly in life.
You should feel concern if more than one of these symptoms has occurred:
- Not able to point to request
- Not able to follow other’s pointing (poor joint attention skills)
- Difficulty in understanding other’s emotion, not able to express own feelings
- Avoid eye contact
- Poor perspective taking
- Poor join-in skills
- Use repeated words or sentences or speak in incomplete sentences
- Poor imaginary play skills
- Repeat same actions
- Not able to accept changes in rules or routines
- Hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity to senses (smell, taste, sense of touch, or sound)
- Regression in skills (e.g., from able to speak in full sentences to not able to speak)
If you have any questions or enquiries, please feel free to contact us.
Tel / WhatsApp：+852 5448 5438